Pedestrian Rights Laws in Illinois and Missouri
Pedestrians have specific rights and responsibilities under Illinois and Missouri laws. These laws ensure all road users’ safety, including pedestrians. In both states, drivers must yield to pedestrians at crosswalks and intersections, whether marked or unmarked. Pedestrians, on the other hand, must obey traffic signals and walk on provided sidewalks.
Understanding these laws can significantly influence the outcome of your case. Our pedestrian accident lawyers in Belleville specialize and have a strong understanding of pedestrian laws and will help victims obtain the compensation they deserve.
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrian accidents can happen instantly, leaving victims overwhelmed and unsure what to do next. Here are some crucial steps to take immediately after a collision:
- Safety First: Ensure your safety and move to a safe location.
- Seek Medical Attention: Seek medical attention immediately, no matter how minor your injuries seem. Some injuries may not manifest immediately.
- Document the Incident: If possible, photograph the accident scene, your injuries, and any involved vehicles. Gather contact information from witnesses and make sure to file a police report.
- Contact a Lawyer: Contact a qualified pedestrian accident lawyer in Belleville, IL, as soon as possible to help you navigate the legal process and safeguard your rights.
Understanding Negligence in Pedestrian Accidents
Negligence forms the basis of most personal injury and pedestrian accident cases. In legal terms, it occurs when a party acts (or fails to act) reasonably, harming or damaging another party. Negligence might involve a driver who was speeding, distracted, failed to yield the right of way, or did not comply with traffic signs or signals.
To establish a negligence claim, the pedestrian must demonstrate four crucial elements by answering the following questions:
- Was the driver responsible for your safety?
- Did the driver violate that duty of care?
- Was a breach of responsibility a factor that led to your injuries?
- Have you incurred damages as a consequence?
Once our attorneys establish negligence, we hold the at-fault party liable for all injuries and damages resulting from the accident.
How Our Belleville Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Can Help You
Our team of experienced pedestrian accident attorneys in Belleville specializes in navigating the complexities of these cases. Here’s how we can assist you:
- Expertise in Pedestrian Accident Law: We deeply understand your rights and the laws surrounding pedestrian accidents.
- Our Process: We conduct a thorough investigation, gather evidence, and build a strong case. We then negotiate with insurance companies and represent you in court if necessary.
- Types of Compensation: You might be eligible for compensation covering medical costs, lost earnings, pain, suffering, and additional damages. We’ll exert unwavering effort to attain the most favorable result on your behalf.
At Nelson & Nelson, we advocate for your rights and provide compassionate legal support every step of the way.
Expert Legal Representation for Pedestrian Accident Claims
Nelson & Nelson’s pedestrian accident lawyers in Belleville have a proven track record of success in pedestrian accident cases. Our law firm is well-versed in pedestrian laws and will protect you from insurance companies and others involved.
If a pedestrian accident has caused injury to you or a loved one, contact Nelson & Nelson Attorneys at Law today for a free consultation. We strive to get you the best possible outcome for your case, entitling you to your deserved compensation.